Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Head Shots

I've been friends with Eleanor and her daughter, Camille for a few years now. Here we are riding the zoo tram together the last time we visited the zoo.

Eleanor's husband, A.J., used to do the music for Wornall Road Baptist Church. A.J. is a talented composer who is attending school here in KC and this summer he is taking a course on how to prepare a portfolio for getting a job after school. I was very flattered when he asked if I would take some photos of him for his class.

We met up at Loose Park and Eleanor watched the girls while A.J. and I wandered around the gardens to get some great photos. Camille is a wonderful kid and a great balance for Allison. She is quiet, but gentle, calm, kind, and a wonderful playmate.
 I haven't done individual (adult) portraits before so this was a big opportunity for me to learn. When taking photos of kids or families, the time goes so fast and it's just one big stress of keeping everyone in one spot and getting everyone looking at the camera, that most of the learning happens after the shoot reviewing the pictures - when the time to make changes has passed. Today I had the opportunity to slow time, to frame, to test the light, to talk through the shoot about ideas and changes. A big challenge was brainstorming poses for a man. The main point of the shoot was for head shots, but since we were already there, we took a few others and I really struggled with posing, so now I know what I can work on.

A.J. said he was happy with photos, and after the shoot Allison and I were able to explore the rose garden in the park.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment