Allison's school had their annual end of year picnic tonight. It was a potluck of side dishes and I chose to make antipasto skewers. I thought that they would be easy for people to grab as they walked around the table and they went really fast. It's just tortellini (marinated in Italian dressing), olives, salami, cheese, and tomato.
Nathan wasn't able to come because he had to work a late call shift, which means that he works 6am-10pm (or later...usually much later). Plus, the two families I know at Rainbow School weren't able to make it so I was on my own. I was a little nervous but thought that I'd just watch Allison and mill about while outside. That plan changed when it started to rain right before the picnic started and the picnic had to be moved inside. I felt a little out of place and I really wish I didn't have to do so many things on my own but Allison was a good companion.
They had an Elsa impersonator visit and Allison fell in love and kept wandering over to ask her questions about her sparkly shoes and cape. There was also a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but Allison was terrified of him.
There was originally a lot of outdoor activities planned (obstacle course, bubbles, sidewalk chalk) but now the kids were confined indoors and many of them clearly weren't okay with the changes. There was a play area set up that had bean bags and all through dinner, about 4 boys were whipping them through the church basement, hitting babies, knocking over drinks, and causing people to hide behind pillars as they ate, yet no one corrected the kids. Then I noticed a young girl (about 5) who was especially bossy who was picking on Allison. She would steal her toys, I saw her push her, then at the end of the night while I was helping to clean up, I saw her walk up to Allison(who was sitting on the floor), pull her cup out of her mouth, and start to walk away with it. I immediately ran over and she looked me in the face and lied with no shame, it gave me the shivers. I packed up and left because I knew that my cleaning up would take me away from Allison and her safety is my top priority.
Allison had a good time but in the car she did mention the "girl who was mean to me", which broke my heart. I just want to protect her forever.






No comments:
Post a Comment