Thursday, March 23, 2017

Macarons

This week is teacher's appreciation week and to celebrate, the PTA at Allison's school sent out a daily idea sheet for gifts/ treats to bring for your teacher (if you chose to participate). I didn't realize that the email went to my junk mail, so I missed Monday, which was to bring a flower for your teacher. Most kids picked dandelions from home, but I still felt bad that I didn't participate because all three of Allison's teacher's are so talented.

Today was the teacher's luncheon and while I wasn't able to help serve/ setup because an elderly member of Wornall who passed away last week had his funeral today, I wanted to participate by bringing something to be served. I signed up for desserts and decided to try something new. Nathan's cousin, Sara, is a super-talented baker and she is always posting some new amazing creation on her facebook page. This past week she posted on the Macarons she made. I knew that they would be the perfect, unique dessert for the potluck.

I had never made them before and was a little overwhelmed by the 50 steps it takes to get before you even put them in the oven, but it was fun and really easy once I made the first batch. Macarons are unique because they take almond flour, rather than all-purpose flour, but it is very expensive ($15/pound). So instead, I bought a $2 bag of blanched almonds and put them in my blender. Castor sugar? What's that? Oh, just granulated sugar you put in your blender. I was surprised that (besides the almonds) I had everything I needed to make the macaroons in my pantry.

I used jams (blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry) to add to the buttercream fillings, and I made a special banana filling for the bright yellow macarons. They aren't perfect (the shapes are wonky, and the bases are uneven) but they are delicious and fun and I really enjoyed spending the morning making them.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the ribbon I had to wrap them in! A perfect match!

No comments:

Post a Comment