When I pitched the Princess Bride to Nathan he was immediately interested. Nathan quotes that movie to me at least 5 times per month (and it didn't slow down once I told him my costume idea).
Here is how I made the costumes:
Allison - I made the pattern for her dress and made the dress with 2 yards of red cotton fabric. I lined the bodice with flannel for extra warmth. I made her headpiece by taking a headband and covering it with gold trim, then I added another piece of trim to make a lens shape. I used gold ribbon to make a lattice pattern, then hand sewed small pearls to wear the ribbon crossed. I bought the gold belt at a thrift store for $2.
Nathan:
I bought Nathan shirt, pants, and shoes at a thrift shop for $11 (total). I tapered the pants (to fit into a boot), then sewed up the button up shirt to turn it into a pullover. I took off the top three buttons and added grommets for a lace up top. I made Nathan's headscarf from a do-rag pattern I found online. My favorite part were Nathan's boot covers. I made the covers (to turn the shoes into boots) from faux leather. They fastened with velcro at the back. For the swords, I bought the two pack at Target for $6. Nathan's mask is from a party supply store for 99 cents.
Amanda:
I bought my pants, shirt, and vest from a thrift shop for $8 total. I tapered the pants (to fit into boots), I left the shirt as it, and the vest was made from a floor length velvet romper that I chopped at the hip. I bought my mustache at the party shop for $1.99. My boots, belt and gloves were already in my closet.
I had a lot of fun making these costumes and while they were inexpensive to make, it required many fittings to get everyone into their outfits.
Allison put her head in her hands as I called her Buttercup and she yelled, "MY NAME IS ALLISON!"
We met friends at our church to go Trick-or-Treating in Brookside and Allison filled her bag with candy. We managed to get through the whole neighborhood in one hour! Allison enjoyed emptying her bag with the other kids and picking out a piece of candy to enjoy before we had our potluck dinner. We were home by 7pm and were able to rest after a busy day.























No comments:
Post a Comment