Sunday, July 20, 2014

Bluegrass Sunday

Nathan had to work overnight last night and Allison has a bad cough so we stayed home from church today. Nathan needed to sleep and I didn't want to put Allison in the church nursery room. We stayed around the house, cut the grass, did the laundry, and tried to give everyone some rest.

At 4pm we headed to Wornall for the Bluegrass concert. John Mark organizes an event each year to benefit the Southwest High School's Athletic department. I love the event because I love bluegrass music.
The afternoon was a great way to spend time with friends. There were food trucks, an outdoor concert, and kids activities- like milking a (fake) cow, horses, and an inflatable slide for kids. The doors opened at 6:30pm for the 7:00pm concert. Outside, there were 3 opening bands warming up the crowd- including a group of 3 members from Wornall Church! There were a lot of pressed blue jeans and broken in cowboy boots in the crowd and you could tell there were some super fans in the audience.
 
 
 
 

 

 

Nathan didn't come to the concert and offered to stay home with Allison while I went. I was happy that my family was able to come to outdoor portion and then head home for bed. Allison loved playing on the grass and sharing her Dad's ice cream sandwich.

I had a great seat for the concert and the performance by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver was incredible. Their voices were amazing and they are awe-inspiring musicians. I'm always so blown away at bluegrass concerts when the artists continually switch instruments and then play each one like a pro. The band donated their time for the concert so that all proceeds to go to Southwest High.
 
 
 


 
I was pretty embarrassed when during the concert Doyle Lawson pointed me out as someone who looked like a fellow bluegrass artist. I don't think I've blushed like that in a looooong time.

After the concert I was able to thank the band and take a great picture of JM and one of his bluegrass idols.

No comments:

Post a Comment