Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Port Stanley Part Three

     The Surf at Orchard Beach. The bathing costumes in this photograph suggest a pre-1910 date. Note the beautifully crafted lapstrake boat pulled up in the foreground. The three breakwaters, or weirs, shown extending out from the shore in this photograph were an early attempt to control the erosion which subsequently claimed so much Orchard Beach property. It was been suggested the erosion was a direct result of a gap which was opened in the main east breakwater to control the storm surge which would build up in the harbor when the lake was rough.

      Presbyterian Church. This church was built in 1854 by the Congregationalists. Shortly after being built it was rented and then purchased by the Presbyterians. The first minister was the Rev. William Doak. The present church has changed little since this postcard.

       Methodist Church and Parsonage. This postcard is postmarked 1911. The church shown here was built in 1888 as a Methodist church. In 1925 at the time of church union in Canada it became a United church. The church has had considerable renovations done since this photograph was taken, and the parsonage has been demolished.

      Christ Church was erected in 1845 on land donated by Colonel John Bostwick. On September 19, 1804 Bostwick had received 150 acres of Crown land on the east side of Kettle Creek. He did not take up residence in Port Stanley until 1820, but is often referred to as Port Stanley’s first settler. Some think that he charged exorbitant prices for his land, which may have slowed development of the little village. Bostwick is buried in the churchyard, and the perfectly preserved church looks the same today as it did in this early postcard.


      Christ Church, Port Stanley. This postcard is postmarked May 26, 1911. Looking at the empty land around the church, it is clear that Christ Church was on the far northern outskirts of Port Stanley. When the church was built, in 1845, it may have been designed to serve the tiny community of Selborne as well as Port Stanley. Selbourne has disappeared from the map, but it was situated on Kettle Creek, a couple of blocks to the north of the church, roughly where Moore Water Gardens is situated today. Note the electricity poles in front of the church. The first electricity in the village came from a private generator west of the harbor, owned by Mr. Mitchell. It is interesting that the system extended this far north on Colbourne Street. Erosion on the banks of Kettle Creek never posed the problem that it did on the lakeshore of Orchard Beach, but evidently a retaining wall was felt to be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment