Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Picture Perfect Day

I went to bed with a sore throat last night and didn't get much sleep. It seems like every time I work in child room at church there is at least 2 sick kids who want to rub their boogers on my shoulder. I was grumpy when I woke up and after Nathan left for work Allison decided she would be grumpy too.

A few minutes after Nathan left, he texted me that he had forgot something. He pulled in the driveway with 2 packages of Halls! I was so thankful that I teared up a little! It's so much work to get Allison out the door and it was a very thoughtful gesture that I really appreciated.

Allison's bad mood continued for two hours. When I realized I couldn't listen to the whining (or dodge the biting) anymore, I put her to bed to cry it out. She had a half hour rest and woke up pleasant. I took these pictures because she was having so much fun throwing her toys around her crib that I didn't want to take her out.
 
 
 After I got Allison up and dressed, we headed to Pistachio's, a small gift store in Brookside. I needed to have some specialty sewing work done and finally found someone who would do a small order for decent price. Unfortunately for me, it also came with terrible service. I never understand when small businesses are rude: the woman pulled the item out of my hand as I was showing her where I wanted the stitches, when I corrected where she had pinned to indicate a starting point, she asked me "so you want to change your mind then?", when I asked to pay after I received the item rather than before, she said, "No, it's just the way I run my business.", and when I asked for a receipt she said, "Sorry, you talked so long [asking about different fonts] that the opportunity to print a credit receipt for you has passed." THIS IS WHY I NEVER FEEL BAD ABOUT SHOPPING AT WALMART.

I was quite miffed when I left so I decided to head next door to the McLain's Bakery for a sweet pick me up. It is an adorable, rustic bakery that is clean and young. It smelled wonderful and had many traditional treats in their tidy displays.

I ordered a tea and when I told the cashier that it was my first time visiting she insisted I take a cookie as a welcome gift - THIS IS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I picked an oatmeal raisin cookie and Allison could hardly wait to share it with me. We went down the road to Loose Park to enjoy the picnic lunch I packed for us. We found a shady spot and ate and played in the warm sun for two hours.

  


Allison's favorite parts were the cookie and a dog named Beatrice that came over to say hello. Allison loves animals but needs to learn to be gentle and curb her excitement.

By the time we were ready to leave, Allison could barely keep her eyes open. The day started out rough, but spending it with my favorite girl made it perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment