Nathan knows a couple (who are both doctors) and were in a bind for child care for their son today. He is usually in daycare but because of scheduling, there wasn't a spot for him today. The husband knew that I stayed home with Allison and asked if I would consider watching baby L.
I was hesitant but I know what it's like not to have family close by and so I offered to help. I was nervous because I'd never met the family before and I knew this mother was taking a real chance trusting me with her son. When she left I didn't even ask basic questions (when did he wake up, when did he eat last) so I was a little lost at first.
I was also nervous as to how Allison would do with a baby in the house. Baby L. is only 4 months old and wanted me to hold him most of the day. I didn't need to be nervous. Allison was amazing. She behaved better than she has in months. No whining, no constant asking for snacks, no boredom. She liked to sit beside him on the couch, lay beside him on the play-mat, and loved helping me when I didn't have hands to get something.
I was told that baby L. wasn't a great napper and was teething (so a little grumpy) but he was fantastic. I think because the day-care is (most likely) bright and full of noisy kids, he probably just can't settle. He napped for an hour in the morning and Allison and I played in the pool, then after lunch, I put them down 15 minutes apart and they both slept for over 2 hours and woke up happy!
I had time to make dinner, do some laundry and clean up before him Mom arrived at 5:30pm to pick him up. She even brought some cute gifts for Allison. Allison immediately wanted to put on the tutu. It was generous for such an easy day!
Allison wasn't jealous of the baby but she loved having her Dad to herself when he got home. We didn't get a chance to read today since I was holding the baby so she made sure to bring over a very large stack.
The day was a success but at the end of it, I felt so much sadness. I know that Allison would benefit from a sibling. She was so happy today and I feel like I'm letting her down. If we could have more children, I know that now is when I'd be ready for another.
I know she'll be okay being our only baby, but it was a struggle to remember that after today.






No comments:
Post a Comment