Friday, July 3, 2015

Vacation

 Nathan has the whole weekend off and there is so much we want to do. I had big plans for a day trip but when I laid out my plans for Nathan he reminded me that there is no way we can take Allison on a 2 hour car trip. It was hard to hear but I know we're in a stage where Allison holds us back.

I can't reason with her, she gets bored easily, runs away, and loses her patience quickly. Instead of my grand plan (which I shelved until Allison is a little older) we decided to stick close to home. 



 We went to Werner Park and saw the Flags 4 Freedom display. Flags line the drive to the park and set up in the park are hundreds of American flags. Each one has a yellow ribbon that is purchased in honor of a soldier.

Fund raising proceeds directly finance: youth and adult program scholarships, purchases of equipment and a new gym floor for the Irene B. French Community Center, purchases of original works of art for city buildings, summer concerts in Merriam parks, and the Tim Murphy Art Gallery.  

 



There were two firetrucks and a half dozen men setting up for tomorrow's big event and we watched them put up a gigantic flag. Allison found a painted piano in the pavilion and had a great time tickling the ivory.  The piano had strange toys hot glued all over it. It was very strange.

 We walked through the park (which was simple but really nice) and climbed the trees until Allison got bored (and fell) and wanted to leave.
 
 
I took these photos from the car on our drive. We took the back roads and saw some fun stuff.
 


 Our next stop was the state of The Scout. When we used to live in our apartment (close to the hospital) we would use a highway that passed by the Scout but I'd never made the trek to see it up close. It's in a strange park that has a skate park and tennis court but limited parking. It looks like it's used for teenagers to have a good time (judging by the beer bottles, broken class and drug remnants).
 
 
 

The statue was originally on loan to KC but it became so popular that the Kids of Kansas City Organization raised the $15 000 to buy it. It was dedicated in 1922 as a memorial for local Indian tribes.




No comments:

Post a Comment