Today I volunteered at the hospital. It was also Physician Appreciation Day so there were tons of signs up adverstising "Thank your Doctor" and huge meal spreads in the cafeterias and physician's lounges - needless to say, Nathan brought his lunch that I packed for him back home tonight.
My day of volunteering started out stressful. I feel bad complaining because I know they're short staffed and appreciate my help - but I don't wanna do what I don't wanna do! And not because I'm grumpy or lazy but because it's AGAINST what I enjoy doing/my personality. Today my first job (which took me 2 hours) was to take movie/TV listings to 150 patient rooms.
Here is my list of why this job exhausted me:
1. PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE
2. "Hello cancer patient/family of dying loved one, would you like to know what movie is playing at 4pm today?"
3. You have no idea what you'll find behind each door. Age, race, illness, it's all up in the air. Add to that...
4. Attitude. You don't know if people think you're interrupting (or if they've been there a few days), they've already recieved a listing and think you're repetitive/disorganized, they're sad, they're miserable or they're so happy to see you they don't want you to leave.
5. I had no idea how to respond to people who thought I was a nurse, "where is my pager?", "can you put an extra blanket on me?", "Where are my glasses? I had them when I checked in last night."
Ugh, I walked the entire hospital and that didn't tire me out but being on people patrol knocked me out. I have so much respect for Nathan that he does this every day. Great things happen in hospitals, especially Saint Luke's and all it's research and new techniques, but all hospitals have such a sad energy. I know that seems obvious, but it's hard to stay chipper.
I am really trying to step out of my comfort zone and be happy with whatever job they give me, but I was much happier preparing admitting forms for the mother/baby unit with Joanne, a retired mother of 4 who's husband passed away a few years ago and Claude, a veteran who also has 4 children. I'm really enjoying getting to know people. Joanne and I had lunch together in the cafeteria and she told me about her travels and grandkids. I asked her how she spends her time and she told me she plays bridge twice a week, volunteers once a week, has a social time with her church friends, and likes to knit.
It was then that I realized I have the same social calendar as an 85 year-old.
Hahaha, you're hilarious. And very good at writing - I felt like I was there in the hospital with you.
ReplyDeleteThose baby booties are sooooo adorable!!!!