Today I dropped Nathan off at the hospital at 7:30am. Today he has his first patient -ALL BY HIMSELF. I think this is a huge deal. I would be so nervous, but Nathan doesn't really ever show nerves. He's had the whole week with a really great doctor who has been encouraging and helpful so I think he feels ready - which he is. Besides the physical challenges of working at the hospital (sore feet, sore back, tired from less sleep) he's also experiencing the emotional challenges. Nathan talks about how hard it is to go from one room where you witness someone being told they are going home, to another where you hear that someone will never go home. Even if you aren't emotionally involved, you're in an emotionally charged environment and I think that drains you as well. One thing that's noticeable here is the advertising for hospitals. There are alot of billboards up in KC with this style of 'making the impossible possible'.
After I dropped him off I went to the laundromat by our house. We have a laundry room in our apartment basement but it's relaly cold and dark. It's one little room at the bottom of the stairs. It doesn't look safe, the dryer is broken, and I would not want to sit there and wait for my clothes to wash. So I decided to check out another place. This place is super-clean, family friendly (they had pictures of their customers all over the walls and knew several people by name), and the machine's were modern and fair-priced. It was also great to be able to do 3 loads simultaneously. The whole trip only took me an hour and a half! While I waited I finished the binding on a small table runner I made from the fabric Marlene gave me before I left.
I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable driving in KC (although I haven't tried the highways yet!) but here is a picture of their infamous "double intersections". It 2 intersections right after another, but there's stop signs mixed in, and oh, I can't explain it.....it's just scary. Some intersections have 5 directions coming together - and today the light was out and it became a 5-way stop. Thankfully I survived.
No comments:
Post a Comment