Thursday, March 3, 2011

Knitting Club

Today was a big day. I finally went driving on the KCroads- which is an adventure in itself. But I survived and managed to make it to Price Chopper to get our weekly groceries. I picked up some cold/cough medicine since I've been sleeping on the couch because my coughing keeps Nathan up at night (and to work 13 hours - he cannot be tired). I got home around noon and the knitting meeting wasn't until 2pm so I decided to chug some down and then take a short nap (to get my energy up to meet some new people).

Well, I took 2 tbsp and then laid down. I woke up to my 1:30 alarm and was so dazed. I felt like I was hit by a bus. I was so woozy and out of it. I looked at the medicine bottle and it said "may cause drowsiness - 10% alchol." I didn't know how I was going to make it to the class because I could barely put my boots on, but I managed to pull myself together enough and made it to the library. Let me tell you, I could have taken the whole bottle of cough syrup, showed up, and STILL fit in. Wow. What a group of misfit toys. There were 9 of us total (8 women, 1 man) and although the group was amazing, they were really nice, and wanted to know all about me, I felt like I was attending a day trip activity for the local patients. They ranged in age from 30-75 and no one could believe I was 26.

When I first came on and unrolled my knitting needle bundle, they all got out of their chairs and raced over to ohh and ahh over my needles. "Wow...look how many you have...lucky." They were all so sweet. One young woman held up a 5 mm needle, size 6, examined it thoroughly, looked at me with complete confusion and fear, "Where are you FROM?" I was confused until she asked what "mm" meant. The knitting needles sizes are different in Canada so they were amazed and interested in comparing the differences between their needles and mine. 'Wait a minute....you DROVE here from CANADA?" They were also very impressed that Nathan was in medical school (which launched a long conversation on medical care, which led to a discussion of Bill Clinton, then George Bush, then the Civil War).

They also kept teasing me that I must "really need to fill my time" since I don't work (they mentioned this about 3 times) as if we all weren't sitting there at 2pm on a Thursday.

Mary, the woman who started to club, got me started. She is such a sweetheart and is deeply involved in the community, particularly with knitting lap afghan's for hospice patients. She was so patient with me and explained things really well. She was really excited to show pictures of her new grandson. She started to explain to me how her daughter was really nervous because her close girlfriend, who was pregnant at the same time, lost her baby, "not a miscarriage, but you know, when the baby dies before it's born..what's that called?" She asked. I honestly almost laughed. I was so stunned, but I felt like (especially in my doped up cough syrup haze) that I like it here. I had fun and I will absolutely be going back - and my friend Amy will be here visiting in 2 weeks so maybe I'll bring her along.
I need alot more practice

No comments:

Post a Comment