Saturday, September 12, 2015

Family Days

The weekends in KC are always bursting with activities, festivals, and places to explore. Nathan had the day off and while there is a long list of places we want to check out, Allison is so fussy in the car that even a 30 minute drive can wear us all out.

We decided to avoid the heavy crowd draws that were the Chalk Rock, the Dancefestopia, the Jazz Fest, and the the Westport Art Show, and instead drive to a park in North Kansas City. There wasn't much to see but it was large and I think it will make a great place to take family photos once the leaves begin to change.
 
 Allison saw this drinking fountain at the top of a hill and climbed to the top all by herself (only stumbling twice) just so she could play in the water.
After we left the park we decided to meander home. We passed the railway tracks and I snapped a few photos. Allison likes trains (she loves Thomas) so she was excited to watch all the commotion. I get a sinking feeling everytime I go to the tracks because this is where my camera died a few years back and I always remember that moment whenever we watch the trains.


 Our last stop was the Union Cemetery. I passed the cemetery each time we went downtown KC for our rabies shot but never stopped. We spent 30 minutes waling through a few section of the cemetery - it was huge!


 



 
 
My favorite part is to examine the headstones that people put up for their children. In a time where there probably wasn't much disposable income, and for many death of child was the norm, these people put up a marker for their family member, and I think it's really special.
 
 Allison was exhausted by the time we got home and had a three hour nap to get refreshed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment