I've been debating cutting my hair for about 6 months. I love having long hair because I love to curl, style, and braid it. Saying goodbye to inches was more than the way I looked- it was a hobby that I was losing. I follow a few really great braiding feeds (cute girls hairstyles, missy sue hairstyles) and I get so excited when they put up a new post, and I didn't want to lose that.
My hair was getting too long (and fried from bleaching it) and since Nathan was home and could watch Allison, I made an appointment at the local hair school to chop 8 inches off my hair.
I know some people think I'm crazy for going to a hair school and I wouldn't go there if I was getting a pixie cut, but I've always had good experiences. My girl today was Monica, she was 21 and did NOT get my reference to getting a "Rachel Green" haircut. When I told her it was a hairstyle on Friends, she said, "I've never seen that show." I felt really old.
I like the Mistu Sato Hair Academy because I feel comfortable telling the student when I think something is going awry. Like today, I told the girl I wanted hair to my collar bone, she was half way through my cut, coming around to the side of my head (where I could see her cutting) and I noticed that it was about 2 inches too long. I piped up and told her to chop more, and then she started at the beginning again. It took 3 1/2 hours to cut and style my hair. I get it though - they're learning and are tentitive in their cuts - which I prefer to some of the snip happy stylists I've had who think they know better than what I've asked for and bulldoze over me.
And for a whopping $10 - I more than got my moneys worth.
I love my hair and remember why I was so happy the last time I cut it this short (2011). Nathan says it makes me look "like a lady" but I heard "old lady". No matter what age my hair makes me look, I really love the change - and may go even shorter next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment