Tonight I brought our sidewalk chalk with us and I drew some things and then quizzed her. She is learning her numbers but it still unsure of letters.
She loves to run wild but is getting better at understanding my signal for "get over here now you crazy kid. I use a full hand, come to me motion with no words and she usually obeys.
I'm sure people would make fun of me for driving the 4 blocks to the park, but if you heard the craziness that accompanies our conversations about leaving the park, you'd get it.
I went to the library today and put several toddler parenting books on hold. I've been reading a book called, Shepherding a Child's Heart, but I've been having a hard time with some of the writing.
In this passage, the author has ideas about discipline.
" When our correction is not rescuing our child from danger, it is only us airing our frustration. It is saying....I am going to hit you...or make you sit on a chair in isolation from the family. What I have just described is not discipline...it is ungodly child abuse."
I've pushed past several of these types of passages even though it's been tough to carry on. Allison gets time outs when she needs to reset and I don't think it's child abuse. In fact, I think that Allison and I having those moments apart help us BOTH to have a minute before the tension escalates.
The book has some good ideas but I feel like right now I need more concrete ideas and tips rather than personal philosophy.
I put a couple of books on hold (The Strong Willed Child) and then for good measure, a Jo Frost work regarding toddlers (Super-Nanny). I'm excited to see what they have to say.





Have you heard of Love and Logic before? They have a book for little kids that I have loved! It's so practical and gives lots of examples (which I need!) and scenarios. It's called Love and Logic Magic for the Early Years.
ReplyDeleteThat's another that I put on hold!
ReplyDelete