Monday, October 15, 2012

Coffee Date

Christa, a dear friend from Wornall who moved to PA this summer, came back to KC for a wedding and we were able to meet up for coffee today. Christa was the first person in KC that I opened up to after Michael died. We went out for breakfast a few weeks after we arrived in KC last year and she's such an amazing woman and she really started me on the trail to being confident in talking about what I was dealing and realizing that I wasn't burdening people by saying that I needed help, prayer, or a generous ear.

We met up at The Roasterie, a coffee shop in Brookside, just down the street from the church. I haven't been there before but I really liked it. We sat in their comfortable lounge chairs and talked for 3 hours! It felt so good to get so much out. Christa is someone who listens so deeply that she pulls out what you didn't know you wanted to say. So often (and I know I'm guilty of it) we get into conversations where we're waiting to give our input or jump in with a story, but Christa really listens, and before I know it, I'm learning things about myself, hearing my words and not realizing that it was all inside.


It was hard to hug her goodbye and there were quite a few tears on the drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment