Friday, October 5, 2012

Two Sides of the Camera


Nathan often teases me that the only reason I leave the house is so that I can have something to write about on the blog. In a way, I think it's true. I love being by myself and if I didn't make plans for this weekend, I could probably stay inside the house for the entire time Nathan is gone.


After dropping Nathan off at the airport at 5am (a 3:45 wake up!) I came home, had some breakfast, then headed out to a grand opening of a new thrift store in Overland Park. I'm on an email list for another location of the store so I received a notification of the opening and that they (NBC) were shooting a commercial and needed extras (shoppers) for the shoot. It's not my personality to be in front of the camera but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go.


When I arrived they were setting up. I decided to shop around and while I walked around I was able to chat with a few of the "big wigs" who were there for the shoot, ie. director of marketing, director of sales.  I love thrifting and talking about a direction of a store, the ideal customer, and pricing items really interested me. Well, the shoot ended up being more specific than a basic shot of customers and I had two parts in the commercial! My first part was as a background person looking at items while a customer checked out. My next part was a scene all by myself where I was walking along, looking at purses when I find a bag I like, pick it up, then look really excited.



OK, you're probably laughing, but it's alright because I was too. In my head I felt so awkward but it was so much fun! And I'm going to be on TV next week! I don't know what part they'll end up using, but as one excited extra said, "you're so lucky, I wish I had your part so I could use it for my portfolio."  People were treating it like a really big deal, so I tried to take it seriously because I was lucky to get picked for my part.

I was at the store for about an hour and a half. I met some really interesting people and moved a little step outside my comfort zone.

In the afternoon I decided to head over to Wornall to help out with the meal for the Southwest Football Players. It's their homecoming today so there was a former NBA player and a former NFL player (with a superbowl ring) that came to give pep-talks.
 

I wasn't going to go to the game tonight (44 degrees!) but I wanted to show some support. Jill was going so I decided I'd tag along. She picked me up at 7 and we headed over to the stadium. The guys played a great game and I was able to go behind the camera and take pictures.




2 comments:

  1. You are right, I was laughing. Thats is cool. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat about the commercial! I wish I could see it! :)

    ReplyDelete